AlumniSuccess In Hospitality Begins With Having The Right Attitude

Bring forth a good attitude and understand the business of hospitality well to go far in this industry, says this IHTTI alumnus.

A self-confessed finance guy, Binh Tri decided to study hospitality because he was looking for a job that allowed him to meet and interact with people from all walks of life. He was studying finance and banking in Vietnam for a short while but decided to change course to hospitality instead.

He enrolled at IHTTI School of Hotel Management because he wanted a holistic education that would prime him for a successful career in hospitality. Binh says that his time at the school allowed him to develop not just professionally, but personally as well.

In January this year, he scored a position at Riverside Hotel Ben Tre, an independent four-star hotel in Ben Tre, Vietnam as the Assistant F&B Manager, where he oversees the daily operations of the property’s restaurant, café and banquets.

With the ultimate goal of starting his own business in the future, Binh believes that to be successful in this field is to have the right attitude.

To succeed, it’s 20 per cent skills. The other 80 per cent is having the right attitude with your guests and colleagues.

What was the one most important skill or teaching that you learnt at IHTTI?

I think it’s the real-life experiences I gained. All my internship experiences helped me grow as a person and also as a hospitality professional. The biggest change I can see in myself today is the confidence I have gained. I also used to be very shy and uncomfortable with public speaking and giving presentations. With the training I received at IHTTI, I gained a lot of confidence in myself and now can present in front of an audience without having a script.


Happy M Kitchens

What do you like about working in hospitality?

I like that you get to engage with people from every corner of the world – people from different cultures, different manners and a lot of different behaviours.

I think what makes a hospitality student different from others is that the people skills we gained in school, helps us become more adaptable when interacting with people from different walks of life.

How did you end up in your current role as Assistant F&B Manager at Riverside Resort Ben Tre?

Before I joined this property, I was the acting director of an English language school in Ho Chi Minh City. In Vietnam, English schools are growing in demand and the schools are often looking for individuals with hospitality skills to join them. However, I soon realised it wasn’t for me and decided to get back into hospitality and apply what I learnt at IHTTI.

What is your role as Assistant F&B Manager?

I am in charge of the food and beverage supply, managing the schedules and budgets of the outlets. I also observe the operations of the restaurant, bistro bar, banquets and events, as well as plan sales and marketing activities in relation to the outlets I manage.

Is it important for hospitality professionals to gain experience in different sectors of the hotel?

I think it is. To become a General Manager, which most hospitality professionals aim to be, you need to know more than 70 per cent of how a hotel is run. It is important to understand the skills and requirements of the different departments. I feel that getting a strong a foundation in operations is important, as it is what keeps a hotel alive.

The GM is the face of the hotel. At the same time, having experience in back office is just as important as it is where one will gain skills to help the operations team thrive.

Do you have any advice to students and prospective students on how to succeed at IHTTI and in their professional life?

Be positive and open to new learning experiences. Having the right attitude whilst you’re studying will set the foundations for you when you start working.

Swiss Higher Diploma in International and Design Management

Quoc Binh Tri graduated from IHTTI School of Hotel Management in 2018 with a Bachelor’s Degree in International Hospitality and Design Management

Programme Details Dates & Deadlines Entry Requirements
Application Procedure Fees

Subscribe to news

${countComments} Comments